don't read the menu options and go directly to the page content 
Click to view menu Click to search

Maison Dieu

The Maison Dieu and The Hospital of St Mary is a medieval building on the corner of Ospringe Street, on the A2, and Water Lane, Ospringe.
Maison Dieu c1922 A significant fragment remains of the medieval hospital and hostel for Kings built early in the 13th century along Watling Street, now the A2.

For more than three centuries, until its foundation was dissolved in 1519 on the instructions of King Henry VIII, to grant all its revenues and possessions to endow St John’s College, Cambridge, the Maison Dieu was a considerable landmark along the pilgrim route and for travellers to Canterbury, Dover and the Continent.

Rebuilt on stone foundations in the 16th century, two buildings remain; St Mary’s which is now a private residence, and the Maison Dieu, which opened as a museum in 1925 to house the remarkable Roman and Saxon finds in nearby graves.

It is thought to be the oldest village museum in the country.
The Maison Dieu is managed by the Faversham Society on behalf of English Heritage.

The building is open to visitors on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays, 2pm to 5pm, from Good Friday until the end of October.

Admission is free to members of English Heritage, the Faversham Society and to children accompanied by an adult. For others, admission is £2 (£1 concessions). 

To find out more about this historic site visit our website here.

 

Maison Dieu  c 1922 

  

Inside Maison Dieu