The Guildhall, Faversham
To view all minutes, special meetings notes please visit the Faversham Town Council website.
If you require any further assistance please call the Town Council 01795 594442/3.
Council Meetings are held on a Monday at the beginning of every month in the Guildhall, the public are welcome to attend.
Dates for Meetings in 2015/2016 can be seen here.
In the mid-1250s, soon after Henry III’s 1252 charter to Faversham, Robert Dod was the first person to be called “mayor”, to the annoyance of the Abbot of Faversham, who protested to the king as part of the long battle between townspeople and Faversham Abbey about who held authority over the town. In the mid 16th century a charter was granted to the Mayor, Jurats and Freemen of the Town of Faversham in 1546. It was subsequently regranted in 1685.
The council was established under the Municipal Corporations Act 1835 and, following local government reorganisation in 1974, Faversham Borough Council became a town council.
Faversham falls within Swale district and contains the four electoral wards of Abbey, Davington Priory (to be re-named Priory), St Ann's and Watling. These wards have seven of the forty-seven seats on Swale Council. At the last election in May 2011, Faversham residents voted for 13 Conservative Councillors and one Labour Councillor. Five of the 14 Members are also Swale Borough Councillor Members, and one, Councillor Tom Gates, is the town’s Kent County Councillor. Their details can be found under Links to the left of this page.
Faversham is a member of the Confederation of the Cinque Ports, being a limb of Dover, the town’s head port. As such, the Mayor of Faversham and the Town Clerk attend confederation meetings on behalf of the Town Council. Further details of Faversham’s Cinque Port links can be found here.
Mayor of Faversham
The Mayor of Faversham is chairman of the town council and successor in a line of civic heads dating back to the mid 1250s. The Mayor is elected at the town council’s Mayor-making ceremony in May each year. The ceremony takes place in the Alexander Centre, and Faversham residents, Mayors and Mayoresses from across the county and other dignitaries attend this key event in the town council’s calendar.
The current Mayor is Councillor Nigel Kay.During his year of office the Mayor will be supporting young people’s access to the
Duke of Edinburgh Award.
The town council has six part-time employees:
Town Clerk – Jackie Westlake OBE (firstname.lastname@example.org )
Deputy Town Clerk - Adrienne Begent (email@example.com )
Tourism Officer - Sally Wookey(firstname.lastname@example.org )
Town Sergeant –
Deputy Town Sergeant – Barry Brockman
Guildhall Caretaker - Louise Muddiman
John Sell CBE is the town council’s planning consultant.
Town Council meetings
Meetings are open to the press and the public. It is open for registered electors of the town to put questions to the town council before the formal business takes place. The council has a number of formal committees and working parties, through which work is progressed to the point of town council consideration and decision-making. The town council supports the freedom of information to its electorate and minutes of council meetings, planning schedules and budgets are all available on-line. All details can be seen on the Faversham Town Council website.
Faversham Council wards
A full list of Councillors can be seen here
Faversham has four electoral wards for Swale Council and Faversham Town Council.
This is the eastern part of the town, north of the London-Canterbury railway (excluding Tin Bridge). It encompasses the Love Lane estate, the Millfield estate, the Recreation Ground, Dorset Place, much of the Town Centre, Abbey Street and Belvedere Road.
Its councillors are Bryan Mulhern, Peter Flower, Anita Walker and John Ogden-Starkel.
St Ann’s Ward
This encompasses Briton Road, Roman Road and the Cottage Hospital in the east, and stretches past the Western Link Road. The railway is the southern boundary for part of the ward, whose northern boundary runs just south of Bysing Wood Road and Dark Hill. The ward includes the Nat West Bank side of the Market Street and upper West Street, plus lower West Street, the St Anne’s estate, Alexander Drive, the Knole, Hazebrouck Road, Wildish Road, and roads off Wildish Road. It includes Ospringe Road and the eastern end of Lower Road as far as Lion Field.
Its councillors are the Mayor Nigel Kay, Mike Cosgrove, Nick Green and Trevor Abram.
This ward is located around the A2, the Roman’s Watling Street. It includes all of Faversham south of the London-Canterbury railway line. In addition, it covers, north of the line, the Tin Bridge area and the west end of Lower Road from its junction with Lion Field to its end at Sumpter Way, as well as the roads reached from turnings off that stretch of Lower Road (such as Lion Field, St Nicholas Road and Cress Way).
Its councillors are: David Simmons, Geoff Wade, Ted Wilcox and Shiel Campbell.
This ward is the north-west area bounded by Faversham Creek and Stonebridge Pond, by Dark Hill and Bysing Wood Road (on both sides of the road), and by Oare Creek. As well as the Brents and Wells Way, it takes in Ham Marshes and Hollowshore.
Davington Priory ward is half the size of the other wards and, therefore, has two councillors rather than four. They are: Claire Belsom and Ben Martin.
Email:see above for individual email addresses
Telephone: 01795 594442/3