Whether you already live in Faversham or are thinking of moving here, you will soon discover that it is a wonderful place to bring up a young family. Virtually everything is within walking distance and, considering the size of the town, there is an extremely wide range of facilities and activities available for all age groups.
For details on Children's Centres in Faversham click here.
The town benefits from a good number of nursery schools and playgroups and has a range of well-performing junior schools within reach. The two Children's Centres are open on weekdays throughout the year and offer a schedule of activities for children and parents.
One of our residents is a mum who moved to Faversham in late 2007 with her husband, daughter and pregnant with her son, and she has offered to write of her experiences of what Faversham has to offer young families. Read about her experiences here, and feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with anything else that you have come across too!
A view from one family
"when we moved to Faversham a couple of years ago, it was primarily to be closer to grandparents for extra support with the children. Little did we know how lucky we were to have found a town so well designed for parents with young children.
Here are a few of the places in town we have found that are ideal for small children":
In the centre of the town you'll find Faversham's excellent swimming complex. Inside, there is a large indoor pool and, next to the Jacuzzi, a separate smaller pool, complete with a dolphin slide for younger children and babies. In summer, the outdoor pools are open all day and house a large swimming pool, a toddler pool with slides and a 'river rapids' area - all surrounded by grass, perfect for sunbathing on. The facilities are well-maintained, clean and spacious. There are family changing rooms complete with baby changing facilities and parents are welcome to bring their buggies pool-side. There is also a café and seating area inside.
Aqua baby classes operate on Thursdays and Fridays from 10:30am to 11:30am, and the pool also offers water confidence classes for toddlers as well as group and individual swimming lessons.
Faversham Library, Newton Road
It is definitely worth making a visit to the library with your young children. They will receive their own library card (from birth) and a reading log - every time they take out a book they will get stickers to add to the log and eventually this will lead to a reading certificate. The children's area in the library is very spacious with a Thomas the Tank Engine train full of books for smaller tots and a range of CD's and DVD's too.
On alternate Tuesday mornings, 10:30am to 10:50am, there is a Bounce and Rhyme session for babies.
Toddler time on Wednesdays, 2pm to 2:30pm for two to five year olds.
Soft Play at the Jubilee Centre
If it's raining, but you want to get out and about with your family, then the soft paly centre makes a good excursion. It's essentially a set of slides, ladders and bridges set over roughly two storeys and is fun for both child and parent. On ground level there is a huge ball pit, various ride-on vehicles (motorbikes, tractors etc.), some play houses and slides. It's great fun and is guaranteed to tire out even the most persistent child. It's also located right next to the café. Don't forget to pack your socks if you want to go on the apparatus!
"We have been to a birthday party at the Soft Play Centre which was great fun."
Tumblers at the Jubilee Centre
As well as the soft play zone, the Jubilee Centre also has an active gymnastics club and toddlers are welcome to attend the tumblers session. Once your toddler starts walking they will love exploring the climbing frames, beams, ladders, trampolines and slides that are laid out in the activity room, all to the background of fun children's music. The sessions help with balance and confidence, but above all are great fun. Babies can be brought in their new seats to watch from the sidelines, or, like others, you can try carrying them in a sling while following your toddler around the apparatus. At the end of the session all the children are encouraged to take part in action songs, followed by a march around the room. At the very end everyone gets a sticker and those who have completed various tasks get awarded badges and certificates. It's really good fun and highly recommended.
Tumbler sessions are held on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (only Fridays during school holidays).
Places of interest
?Faversham gas a really large grassy park (the Recreation Ground) near to the Jubilee Centre which ahs a large playground at one end, including a section designed for younger children. Perfect for picnics under the trees.
There is also a smaller playground next to the swimming pool, which is shaded and often quite quiet.
If you're out shopping and fancy a break, the duck pond houses an array of friendly birds. it's very picturesque and just a stone's throw from the centre of town.
The West Street Window
Towards the end of West Street, heading away from the town, there is a small window that always has a colourful display inside, purely maintained as a hobby by the owner.
Playgrounds and pre-schools
From the age of three your child is eligible for 15 hours of free pre-school per week. This can be taken in two and half hour sessions. Below is a list of the playgroups and pre-schools in Faversham and the surrounding areas:
- Abbey School Day Nursery, London Road, Faversham, ME13 8RZ - 01795 531408
- Barbary Farm Nursery, Barbary Farm, Provender Lane, Norton ME13 0SU
- Bees Knees Playgroup, Dunkirk Village School, London Road, Dunkirk - 07986 762120
- Bertie's Playgroup, Ethelbert Rd School, Faversham, ME13 8SQ - 07817 755442
- Daisy Chain?, Preston School Room, Preston Lane, Faversham, ME13 8LG - 07714 002119/ 01227 366547
- The Dawes Community, Association Pre-school, The Playing Fields, Hernhill, ME13 9JG - 01227 751195
- Little Moonbeams Day Nursery?, Church Road, Upper Brents, Faversham, ME13 7DR - 01795 534432
- Magpie Playgroup, Boughton Methodist Primary School, School Lane, Boughton, ME13 9AW - 07745 865944
- Puddleducks Playgroup?, White Hill Chapel, Painters Forstal, ME13 0DU - 01795 890519
- Rainbow Pre-school, Bysingwood Children's Centre, Bysingwood Primary School, Lower Road, Faversham, ME13 7NU - 07784 354418
- Selling Pre-school, The Street, Selling, ME13 9RQ - 01227 752100
- Sheldwich Pre-school?, The Mobile Building, Lees Court Road, Sheldwich, ME13 0LU - 01795 534477
- St. Mary's Playgroup?, St. Mary of Charity C of E Junior School, Orchard Place, Faversham, ME13 8AP - 01795 536803
- Syndale Park Day Nursery?, London Road, Ospringe - 01795 597625
- Teddies Pre-school, Ospringe School, Ospringe - 07974 261685
- Teynham Community Playgroup?, Teynham CP School, Station Road, Teynham, ME9 9RX - 01795 522004
Fun Activity Sessions for Babies and Toddlers
If you are new to Faversham or new to parenting, then there are plenty of activities to take part in where you can meet new mums to try out new things. Remember to ring in advance just in case the sessions aren't running that week.
- Musical Bumps - Music classes for newborns to pre-school children. Monday mornings, Macknade Farm Shop, Selling Road. Loads of free parking plus a great café. Contact Nicky on 07530 280942.
- Aqua Babes - 10:30am to 11:30am, this is a great way for your new baby to discover water in a relaxed setting with help on hand and plenty of toys, songs and games. Call Faversham Pools on 01795 532426.
- Boughton Mother and Toddler Group? - 9am to 10:45am at Boughton Village Hall, 01227 752985.
- Bounce and Rhyme - every other Tuesday from 10:30am to 11am at the library on Newton Road. Sit in a big circle and sing songs with your babies and toddlers, and pick up some library books at the same time. Call 01795 532448 for more information.
- Butterflies Toddlers ?- 10am to 11:30am (term-time only). Lots of activities (jigsaws, games, books etc.) for toddlers. Call 01795 537648 to find out availability.
- Parent and Toddler Group - Greenstreet Methodist Church, Lynsted Lane, Teynham, 9:30am to 11:30am. Fun and games for babies and toddlers (and their parents or carers), for more information contact Geoff Court, 07923 281646/ email@example.com
- Parent, Toddler and Baby Group ?- 10:30am to 12noon at Newnham Village Hall. Call Laura Polden 01795 890759 for more information. The group runs on Tuesdays term time only. We welcome newcomers and have a toy library every week.
- Butterflies Toddlers - 10am to 11:30am (term-time only). Lots of activities (jigsaws, games, books etc.) for toddlers. Call 01795 537648 to find out availability.
- Storytime ?- 2:15pm to 2:35pm at Faversham Library, Newton Road. Sit on the big cushions and hear a new story before explaining the books on offer with your toddler. Call 01795 532448 for more information.
- The Breast Feeding Group - Every Wednesday from 1pm to 3pm at St. Mary's Children's Centres. Come along and chat to a midwife about any breastfeeding topics. Just turn up!
- Tot Zone - 10am to 11:30am and 1:30pm to 3pm at the Gospel Mission Hall, Tanner Street, Faversham. Call 01795 531181 for more information.
- Tumblers - 10am to 11am at the Jubilee Centre, Whitstable Road. Spend time with your toddler climbing, sliding balancing, jumping and swinging at this fun, hands-on session and earn badges and certificates along the way. Call 01795 532132 for more information.
- Baby Club ?(for younger parents) - 10am to 12noon in the Health Education Room at Faversham Health Centre. Run by the team of health visitors, call 01795 562041 for more information.
- Faversham United Church Parent and Toddler Group ?- meet on a Thursday 1:30pm to 3:00pm, for more information please contact Geoff Court, 07923 281646/ Geoff@stjohnsmethodistwhitstable.org.uk
- Music Makers - for toddlers, Doddington 2pm to 2:45pm. Call Liz Bayford on 01795 886847
- Aqua Babes - 10:30am to 11:30am. This is a great way for your new baby to discover water in a relaxed setting with help on hand and plenty of toys, songs and games. Call Faversham Pools on 01795 532426
- Tumblers - 9:30am to 10:30am and 11am to 12noon (10am to 11am in summer holidays) at the Jubilee Centre, Whitstable Road. Spend time with your toddler climbing, sliding, balancing, jumping and swinging at this fun, hands-on session and earn badges and certificates along the way. Call 01795 532132 for more information.
Above: Faversham Pools
Above: Children's park outside Faversham Pools
Above: Stonebridge Pond
Above: the West Street window