don't read the menu options and go directly to the page content 
Click to view menu Click to search

Battles at Faversham

Home / Forum / The Information Exchange / Battles at Faversham
Eric Lamberton    19 Mar 2009
After the Battle of Hastings, was there a battle at Faversham?

We have the following information from Randall's Manuscripts now in Durham Cathedral Library, concerning the Baron of Hilton Castle at Monkwearmouth in North East England (See: VisitNorthEastEngland.com)

"There are now some papers before me relating to the antiquity of your family, the genealogy of your ancestors, and their transactions in peace and war, The interest which I conceive I have in my native country, would not suffer me to forego the opportunity of being now in town to aquaint you with what I met within them.

You may have records more large and authentic in Hilton Castle, but in case you should not, I thought it not improper that I should send you a short abstract of which, upon perusal of these papers, appears to belong to you.

To wit:
* That 300 years before the Conquest, in the reign of Athelstane, the family of Hiltons were settled in England, as appears by the inscription at Hartlepool.

* That upon the coming over of the Conquerer, Launcelot de Hilton and his two sons joined him and espoused his cause.

* That Launcelot was soon after slain at Faversham, in Kent.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks
David Hilton    07 Sep 2012
Unfortunately Mr. Lamberton died last year. His work has been very important to me, and the extended family. Any information that anyone can provide on this would be very helpful, and much appreciated.

You can read about Lancelot de Hilton at Faversham here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hylton_Castle

Quote from Wikipedia:
"On the arrival of William the Conqueror, Lancelot de Hilton and his two sons, Robert and Henry, joined the Conqueror's forces, but Lancelot was killed at Faversham during William's advance to London. In gratitude, the king granted the eldest son, Henry, a large tract of land on the banks of the River Wear."

Reference:
Timbs, John & Gunn, Alexander, Abbeys, Castles and Ancient Halls of England and Wales, 1872, volume 3 (London) p282–97
Arthur Percival    25 Mar 2009
Eric

I'm afraid we've no information at all about a Battle of Faversham, soon after the Battle of Hastings. It's the first I have heard of it.

The folklore is that Kent surrendered peacefully to William the Conqueror, hence its motto 'Invicta' As evidence that the Hilton family were in England 300 years before the Conquest I would like to know more about the 'inscription at Hartlepool' - do you happen to know which one?

The earliest reference to the surname in the OUP "A Dictionary of English Surnames" is in 1132. It was once common here, but much, much later.

Arthur (for The Faversham Society) - www.faversham.org/society