don't read the menu options and go directly to the page content 
Click to view menu Click to search

Eddie Fisher

kevan keeler    15 Apr 2010
I am trying to find out more about the local artist Eddie Fisher.

I have a lovely oil painting by him of a sailing ship.

Can anyone help, please?
Jacqueline Farrow    21 Oct 2016

We, too, bought an Eddie Fisher barge painting at auction. Beautiful rendition which brings memories of family working the barges. Very talented man with ships, sea and sky (but not a great ornithologist!) the gull brings a smile to everyone who notices it skimming the waves.

Peter Stevens    19 Apr 2014
My apologies to the Fisher family for my mistake. I remember Eddie well in the Philharmonic productions and confused him with another local man, Fred Forster, who was equally entertaining. It was he who worked in a local solictor's office.
Robin Smith    25 Feb 2014

As a relative of Eddie Fisher, I can give you some more information about him.

My grandfather and his mother were brother and sister, and for the first 10 years of my life I lived a couple of doors away from him, and kept in touch with him and his wife until their deaths.

Eddie Fisher (1908-89) and Gladys Fisher, nee Taylor (1908-89)  married in 1936; Their daughter Audrey, born in 1937, died in 1995.

Two grandchildren Russell and Deborah, whom they adored, were born in the late 1960s.

Eddie and his wife Gladys were kind, lively,happy and helpful people, they were very close and died three weeks apart, Gladys of a heart attack and Eddie of emphysema three weeks later. He had been ill for some years. 

His father built and maintained barges, and his mother was an elementary school teacher. She went blind in her latter years, and I remember visiting them with my Aunty Gladys on many occasions. They lived in Kings Road, Faversham.

He would have laughed very loudly at the thought of working in a solicitors office!

He was an engineer/fitter/welder and worked for Martins(?) Engineering company in Union Street, Faversham, for most of his life. I remember him telling me how he worked inside large boilers welding them, health and safety would have a nightmare these days about such a practice. At some point he welded human figures out of huge hobnails and made men pushing bikes and various other things.

His wife was the manageress of Wicks the bakers in East Street, and later managed a dry cleaners. Her motto was never walk if you can run: she was a very bustling and always busy.

They were both members of St Catherine's Church and took my brother and I as children every Sunday. They were both in the choir, and my Uncle had a very good voice.

He could play the trombone and was a member of Canterbury Silver Band in his youth.  He followed brass bands for the rest of his life, although he had given up playing. He took my cousin Audrey to brass band competitions in the Albert Hall on many occasions. 

Eddie and Gladys were members of Faversham Philhamonic for many years, Gladys in the choirs and made a lot of the costumes and Eddie often in a lead role. I'm pleased to hear there are photos of him doing so.

He was an avid cricket fan, and even in the early 1950s had a television on which he always watched the cricket and often went to Canterbury Cricket ground for Kent matches. He played backyard cricket with my brother and me, with the stumps drawn in chalk below the dining room window, which we managed not to break.

His daughter played the piano and was a very good artist, especially watercolours. She was a primary school teacher, married an air force man, and lived in Australia for many years.

Eddie took up painting late in life after he badly injured his foot and couldn't work for some months.  He was getting very bored at home, so picked up his daughter's paints and started painting, no training whatsoever. He belonged to Faversham Art Society for many years, and helped with their exhibitions and obviously learnt a lot from them along the way.  I think a man called Vic Tindall framed most of his pictures.

In our family we have a number of his paintings. I have a picture of sailing barges tacking up an estuary that he did as a wedding present for us. My sister has one of barges at sunset, my brother an alpine scene, and my youngest brother commissioned a watercolour of my parents' garden.  I also bought a few years ago two small oval watercolours of Faversham creek in brass frames.

He started painting in watercolours in his latter years as ill health meant he couldn't complete large oil paintings.  He carried a small notebook with him, and did quick sketches of local scenes.

He was a jolly happy man, who was always laughing and usually called you "duck", although not well towards the end of his life, he never let it get him down, and kept painting and was always pleased to see any visitor.

Eddie and Gladys were stalwarts of Faversham all of their lives; they travelled everywhere by bus and train, as he loathed cars and said they would ruin the place - how right he was!

I hope this helps anyone who would like some more information about him and his life and family.

kevan keeler    16 Oct 2010
Thanks for your answer. I still don't understand why, when I have asked in Faversham no one has ever heard of him.

My brother also has one of his paintings and that is very good too.

Thanks again

Kevan
Peter Stevens    16 May 2010
Eddie Fisher lived at 9 Beckett Street, Faversham, and had one daughter. He worked for a Faversham solicitor and sang in Faversham Philharmonic for many years.

He produced many paintings of barges and was a member of the Faversham Art Society. His work was often exhibited at the Society's shows. For many years I had a painting by him which he called An Alpine Village.

Eddie Fisher's father, also called Edward, was a barge builder who worked at Hollowshore. Photographs of  both are available from the Faversham Society's assistant curator.