don't read the menu options and go directly to the page content 
Click to view menu Click to search

Walter Stunt of Lorenden, Faversham

Home / Forum / The Information Exchange / Walter Stunt of Lorenden, Faversham
Ann Brooker    22 Feb 2011
Can anyone give me information on Walter Stunt. Is Lorenden a name of a house or a locality?

He was related to John (father & son) of East Court Manor and Twydall Manor in Gillingham which, I beleive Walter inherited on the latters death in 1895.
Arthur Percival    23 Feb 2011
Ann

Lorenden is a house, with grounds, in a pleasant rural situation in the parish of Ospringe, about two miles south of Faversham. It was rebuilt in about 1860, in restrained Victorian style. Walter Stunt bought it in 1877.

It is now a private school, I think for 3-13 year-olds. You will find pictures of it at http://www.faversham.org/pages/business_directory_item.aspx?i_PageID=131655&i_DirectoryID=1073

Walter was born at Sevington, near Ashford (Kent) in 1841, the son of Walter Stunt, of Gillingham (Kent). He went to Marlborough and started farming at Gillingham at the age of 19.   Later he moved to Brogdale Farm, also in Ospringe, but rather closer to Faversham. This is a Georgian House. The Farm is now the home of the National Fruit Collection. While there he married Jane, daughter of John Abbott, who lived close to both houses. Abbotts Hill in Ospringe is named after him. He died in 1922.

If you want to know more about him, please email me (personally) at
ticfaversham@btconnect com, preferably with your mail address, as I shall need to send you a photocopy.

Best wishes

Arthur Percival - for the Faversham Society - www.faversham.org/society - we run the official Tourist Information Centre by voluntary effort - hence the email address I've given you)