don't read the menu options and go directly to the page content 
Click to view menu Click to search

FAVERSHAM UNION

Home / Forum / History File / FAVERSHAM UNION
Shirley Crawford    27 Jun 2007
As I live in Australia I do not know the Faversham area.

I have been researching my family tree and came across an entry in the 1841 Census listing a family as being in Ospringe Lane, Faversham, in the reg. district of Faversham Union.  

My query is would they have been living in a house or is Faversham Union part of the workhouse.

Sorry for my ignorance and hopefully when I come to the UK in the near future I will have the opportunity to visit your historic Faversham and learn more about the area where my ancestors came from.   

Shirley in Sydney NSW
Shirley Crawford    03 Jul 2007
Arthur

Thank you very much for all your help.  I look forward to receiving the aerial photograph at your convenience.

Once again many thanks

Shirley
Arthur Percival    03 Jul 2007
Shirley

Thanks for further information.

I can't be certain but I think probably the family lived in the late Georgian terrace in what is now known as Wallers Road which I mentioned in an earlier response.   As I said, this was cleared soon after the end of WW2.   No photographs of it are known to have survived, unfortunately.

I'll ask the Moderator to let me have your email address so that I can send you an aerial photograph taken in 1937 which shows the terrace, though not very clearly.

Best wishes

Arthur
Shirley Crawford    02 Jul 2007
Arthur

Have rechecked the enumerator's walk and he only lists the dwellings before Ospringe Lane as North of Ospringe Street.

On the pages before my family it shows that there are another 14 occupied houses in Ospringe Lane.  On the Enumerator's Schedule in District (6) he states:

Superintendent Registrar's Distrct: Faversham Union

Registrar's District Faversham and Ospringe

No. of enumeration District (6 Remainder)

All that part of Faversham that is within the liberties of the Town comprising 2 houses in Ospringe Lane Ospringe Road from the Manor Pound(?) at St Ann's Croft to Ospringe Street as far as the Bridge the Mount and Houses in Kingsfield with all that part of the Parish of Faversham without the Liberties East of the Town.

I hope this will help you pinpoint the area, sorry I can't give  you any more information.

Regards
Shirley.
Arthur Percival    02 Jul 2007
Shirley

What comes before Ospringe Lane on the enumerator's walk?

Best wishes

Arthur
Shirley Crawford    02 Jul 2007
Arthur,
I have now checked out the Enumerator's Schedule which reads:

Superintendent Registrar's district: Faversham Union

Registrar's District Faversham and Ospringe

No. of Enumeration District: 7

Description of ditto - All that part of the Parish of Faversham without the liberties - West of the Town, comprising the North at Ospringe Street from the Bridge - Ospringe Lane Lion Field with the Houses near the Union Workhouse - One house on that detached, part of the Parish called Uplease and One House on that detached part of the Parish near Copton Farm Preston.

I have rechecked the original census which shows that Ospringe Lane appears to have 10 houses (no numbers) one of which appears to be that where Elizabeth Mortley (she lists her occupation as a baker) and her family live.

After these 10 houses it then goes into Lion Field which on the same page shows 3 houses.

I assume from all this that Elizabeth and her family lived in a house and were not in the workhouse at that time.

I would be pleased to get your comments and once again many thanks,

Shirley
Arthur Percival    29 Jun 2007
Shirley

When you check the Census it would be helpful to know where Ospringe Lane appears - i.e between what other highways/locations - and how many other entries there are for it.   This might help me place it.   It could be that it is now represented by Grove Place (S of railway line) and its continuation Wallers Road (N of railway line).   This was once known as Powdermill Lane, and there was a terrace of late Georgian houses in what is now Wallers Road - but these were cleared I think just after the last War.

Best wishes

Arthur
Shirley Crawford    28 Jun 2007
Arthur,
Thank you very much for your most interesting reply.   The address written in the enumerator's hand is shown as Ospringe Lane Faversham on the actual census.   As I am away until Sunday and leaving very shortly to catch a train I will on my return go back into the Census and check the enumerator's walk. I will let you know what I find out.   Thank you for your interest and I look forward to solving yet another puzzle in my family history.

Regards

Shirley
Arthur Percival    28 Jun 2007
Shirley

Thanks for the extra information.   It's now quite clear that the Mortley family were NOT living in the Union workhouse, but somewhere else in this particular Census enumerator's 'walk'.

In the original does the enumerator specifically say that they were in Ospringe Lane, or have you assumed this because the walk included this highway?

I ask this partly because in my abysmal ignorance I'm not sure that I know where Ospringe Lane was! There's no highway of this name at the present time, and hasn't been for many a long year.

This particular 'walk' was a slightly odd one because it included two bits of the parish which were a long way from its main area - one about two miles away.   I feel sorry for the enumerator.

It's interesting that Harriett and Stephen married at Murston church. Since couples usually married in the church of the parish where the bride was domiciled  this means that at the time of their wedding Harriett was probably living in Murston. This is a parish about 6 miles west of Faversham. However there was a small detached portion about 2 miles northwest of Faversham, and possibly this was where Harriett was living at the time.

We are in deep water!

Best wishes

Arthur
Shirley Crawford    28 Jun 2007

Arthur,
Thank you very much for your reply, the family which I found in the 1841 Census on "find my past" are:
    Elizabeth Mortley    F48    Born Kent
    Charles Mortley      M15    Born Kent
    Frances Mortley      F13    Born Kent
    John Mortley           M11   Born Kent
    Mehaley Mortley      F  6   Born Kent (I think this should read Mahala as I     have later Mahala's in the family tree)

The Census reference is: HO107 Piece 472 Folio 21/13 Page 7 Reg District: Faversham Union, Sub District: Faversham & Ospringe, Parish Faversham, Address: Ospringe Lane Faversham

As far as I know Elizabeth (married to a Thomas (Occupation listed as Baker on Harriett's marriage certificate) was the mother of Harriett Mortley married to Stephen Smith  my great great grandfather. His son was Edwin Stephen Smith the father of my grandmother. Harriett was born in Ospringe and Stephen as far as I know in Faversham. Thank you very much for your assistance. Harriett has been spelt on the marriage certificate (they married in the parish church at Murston) as Harriott. I hope I haven't confused you.

Many thanks for your assistance,
Regards,
Shirley 

Arthur Percival    27 Jun 2007
Shirley

On the basis of the information you've given, I'm inclined to think the family were living in a house, not the Union Workhouse. Can you give their name and any more context details you have off the microfilm?

Arthur
History consultant