don't read the menu options and go directly to the page content 
Click to view menu Click to search

Love Lane cemetery

Home / Forum / History File / Love Lane cemetery
sheridan bickers    11 Jul 2007
My great-great-grandfather George Gower died in 1899 in Plantation Road, his wife Elizabeth two years later in 1901. I believe they are buried in the Love Lane cemetery.

How can I find out if this is the case and, if so, where they are?
sheridan bickers    15 Jul 2007
Hello Mr Percival,

Thank you so much for your help. I was in Faversham in May and visited the factory site at Oare which I found very interesting.

Now I know where they are buried I will be back as soon as I can. If the grave is unkempt I will tidy it and keep it tidy.

I would certainly appreciate any information you have and will be looking to find out more about the Davington factory friendly society – this is not something I have heard of. It would be lovely to find out about the day-to-day lives of George and Elizabeth Jane.

Thank you again,
Sheridan
Arthur Percival    13 Jul 2007
Sheridan

I see George Gower was a member of the Davington Factory Friendly Society in 1881-1882. This means that he was then working in the local gunpowder industry.

The factory, which started c 1690 and closed in 1934, was later known as the Oare Gunpowder Works – one of three such in the town. The remains have recently been conserved and the site is now a most attractive country park, which you might like to visit next time you are here. You will find more about it on the Faversham website.

In this context a colleague might just have more information about his work in the industry. I will ask.

I can't help on why George and his brothers were in East Ashford Union Workhouse in 1841. The name is not a local one. I just wonder whether in any way he may have been related to the father of the Rev H Hugh Gower (1872-1937), whose vivid, and cautionary, reminiscences of Faversham and the USA the Faversham Society published in 1985 as Leaves from a Life, No 26 in its series of Faversham Papers.

Best wishes

Arthur Percival
History Consultant
sheridan bickers    12 Jul 2007
Hello Mr Percival,
Thank you very much for your reply. I am particularly interested in George and Elizabeth as I have found him in the East Ashford Union workhouse in 1841 and as yet haven't been able to find his parents or why he and his brothers were there.

I was very close to my grandmother so this is special to me. I won't be able to get back to Faversham until later in the year. Would you still have a photograph or a copy of the headstone? I would be more than willing to pay for it.

Sheridan
Arthur Percival    12 Jul 2007
Sheridan

In reply to your posting of 11 July your great-great-grandfather George and his wife Jane Elizabeth Gower (not just Elizabeth) were buried not in the Love Lane Cemetery but in the churchyard of Faversham Parish Church of St Mary of Charity.

Their headstone was still extant in 1976, when I photographed it in black-and-white.

Best wishes

Arthur Percival

History Consultant