Michelle Connolly 30 Oct 2008
I am researching my family history and I am trying to find out about my KENNETT ancestors.
John KENNETT married Mary Proper on 14.10.1758 in Boughton-under-Blean. Mary Proper was baptised in Sheldwich on 24.2.1734. She was the daughter of John and Elizabeth Proper nee Hutchins who married in Canterbury St. George on 11.9.1732. Mary’s younger sister Elizabeth married in Boughton-under-Blean earlier in 1758. There was a settlement certificate issued in 1754 for John Proper from Sheldwich to Boughton-under-Blean. John Kennett was buried on 28.2.1819 aged 83 in Boughton-under-Blean. Mary’s burial has not been traced but she probably predeceased her husband. John and Mary had 6 children all baptised in Boughton-under Blean:
• John born c. 1759 who was buried on 15.3.1759.
• Sarah was baptised on 22.6.1761 (she married Edward King of the parish of Horton, Kent on 17.4.1779 in Boughton-under-Blean. If they had a family it was not in Boughton-under-Blean or in Horton).
• Isaac was baptised on 17.10.1762. He was buried on 23.11.1762.
• Thomas was baptised on 6.8.1769 in Boughton-under-Blean, Kent. He married Sarah Packman in the parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul Boughton-under-Blean on 29.1.1792 (Sarah was the child of Adman and Mary Packman - presumably his mother’s maiden name was Adman). Sarah was baptised on 4.6.1769 at the church in Boughton-under-Blean. There was a settlement certificate issued on 13.3.1788 for Sarah’s parents from Hernhill to Boughton-under-Blean. Sarah was buried at Boughton-under-Blean church on 17.7.1825 aged 56. Thomas died aged 69 in Dunkirk on 6.4.1839, he was buried in Boughton-under-Blean churchyard.
• William was baptised on 6.9.1772. He married Elizabeth Scarlett on 11.4.1801 in Chilham. They had two sons. Stephen was baptised on 9.10.1803 in Blean parish church. William was baptised on 28.5.1809 at St. Margaret church, Canterbury and buried there on 13.11.1809. William was listed on the Tithe Award Schedule as owning a garden for cultivation (plot no. 317) in Blean dated 18.6.1839. In 1841 William and Elizabeth were living at St. Thomas Hill in the St. Dunstan area. Elizabeth was buried at Hernhill aged 66 on 10.4.1845.
• Richard was baptised on 2.3.1777. Richard married Elizabeth Stephens at Harbledown on 21.5.1804. The entry states that he came from Dunkirk.
If anyone has any information on my KENNETT ancestors or has any connection to them can you please let me know. Thank you.
Arthur Percival 05 Nov 2008
For visitors monitoring these pages, I'm now in touch with Michelle direct about her query. But don't let this stop anyone else help with it!
Arthur (for Faversham Society)