don't read the menu options and go directly to the page content 
Click to view menu Click to search

Davington Priory

Home / Forum / History File / Davington Priory
Malcolm MacGregor    18 Jan 2009

My mother, whose maiden name was Lilley and has recently passed away, lived in Faversham for a number of years. In her possessions she had a small heart-shaped trinket box which she treasured. Inside is a note on Davington Priory headed notepaper which reads:

‘With Love & Best Wishes for a Happy Birthday & Many in the coming June’

and it is signed ‘VWK 1930’

My mother would have been 12 years old in 1930.

Can anyone advise who VWK could be?

Malcolm

Arthur Percival    20 Jan 2009
Malcolm

Laura Kirkby's husband was the Rev C W Kirkby, whom I mentioned in my last.

In 1997 I had some Lilley correspondence with a Mrs Pearcey who was a great-grand-daughter of an Ellen Ann Lilley who married at Preston-next-Faversham in 1874.

I could give you her address if you felt it might be helpful, but I can't do this 'in public' on the website, so if you want it please email ticfaversham@btconnect.com marking the email for my attention at the head. A copy of your own tree might be helpful as an attachment.

Best wishes

Arthur (for The Faversham Society)
Malcolm MacGregor    19 Jan 2009
Arthur,

Thank you for your reply.

I seem to remember my mother saying that the gift was given to her by the priest at Davington Priory. Do you know the name of Laura Kirkby's husband?

I am led to believe that my grandmother, Violet Lilley worked for a short time at Davington Priory

I don't think my mother was related to Denis Lillee. I have been unable to prove that connection.

In 1901 my grandfather was managing the Ship Hotel which I think was then owned by my great grandfather. Later on when he married my grandmother they had a shop in West Street. The were also very friendly with the Palmer family who owned the dairy near the creek.

Best regards
Malcolm
Arthur Percival    19 Jan 2009
Malcolm

An addendum, after consultation with the leading expert on Davington history. Are you sure the initials are VWK? My colleague points out that if the first initial were C, the set would stand for the incumbent, the Rev Charles W Kirby.

Arthur
Malcolm

I forgot to say that Denis Lillee (so spelt), the Australian fast bowler, was of local descent. Same family as your mother, even though she was a Lilley?

Arthur

Malcolm

The only suggestion I can make is that the K in the surname may have stood for Kirkby. Laura Gibbs Kirkby (a US citizen) bought Davington Priory, and the manor which belonged to it, in 1923.

Her husband was an Anglican priest whom she installed as the incumbent of Davington Church, as at the time this was still a private appointment. But I'm not aware of any member of the family with the initials you specify before the surname 'K'.

Unfortunately of course Census Returns for 1931 will not be available till 2031. An electoral roll might however survive at the Centre of Kentish Studies in Maidstone, and this might help.

Best wishes

Arthur (for The Faversham Society)