don't read the menu options and go directly to the page content 
Click to view menu Click to search

SHOVE family, Queen Court, Ospringe

Home / Forum / History File / SHOVE family, Queen Court, Ospringe
Charles Booth    06 Jul 2009
I wonder if anyone can cast any light on this family?

I am carrying out some biographical research on Herbert William Shove, who I believe was probably born at Queen Court, Ospringe, in July 1886. His father, Herbert Samuel Shove, certainly owned or rented the property at the time of his marriage the previous year. His mother was Bertha, née Millen, whose family lived at Syndale in Ospringe, according to the marriage lines.

I see the webpage for Queen Court shows an image of the building c1890 with a women and two boys posing in front of the house. Might this be Bertha, Herbert (junior) and the second son, Gerald? If so, the 1890 date for the image looks a little early. Herbert (senior) died in 1889 and is buried in Ospringe churchyard (although he is listed as SHORE on the church webpages).

I would be very grateful for any further information or advice that anyone might care to give me.

Warmest regards

Charles Booth
Barbara Docherty    20 Jul 2017

I want to write a post for the Vlieland family blog <jerome nicholas vlieland> on Gerald Shove, the economist, whose work is now being critically revisioned as an important contribution to 1930s thought.  As his background involves conscientious objection, I wish to obtain permission from a current Shove family member, but cannot so far locate one: can anyone help? I am the great-granddaughter of Alice Edith Millen (on her marriage, Vlieland), the elder sister of Bertha Millen, Gerald Shove's mother.

Barbara Docherty

Graeme Shove    21 Aug 2010
The three Shove brothers you mention are directly linked into a big Shove family tree of which I have a copy. I met Judge Ralph Shove as a young man in the 1960s; he had retired to nr Lincoln.

Gerald was at Cambridge and an economist and married to Fredigard Maitland, a poet.

Herbert was a submarine commander in the First World War in E29 and then one of the vast K-class fleet subs.

All this you may well have, but I spotted your email so I thought I would reply!
Peter Stevens    14 Jul 2009
Herbert Sam Shove, of Queen Court, Ospringe, born 25 May 1854, died 28 June 1889, was elected to the Porter Club on 29 November 1881. He was also a founder subscriber to the Faversham Club in 1884.

In 1885, aged 31, he married Bertha Millen, aged 20, at Ospringe Church.

Details from Faversham Society records at the Fleur de Lis Heritage Centre.
Charles Booth    10 Jul 2009
Dear Arthur

Thank you very much for your reply. Very helpful indeed, and I will follow up some of the Millen family links.

The three Shove brothers born at Queen Court led interesting lives. Herbert joined the Navy at 15 and was posted to the submarine service, commanding submarines throughout the Great War.

He later went to live in Ditchling, Sussex (with the Eric Gill community), re-enlisted in 1939 and died of illness in 1943 following a posting in West Africa.

Gerald was a friend of Rupert Brooke and John Maynard Keynes, and was a pacifist and conscientious objector in the First World War. He was related by marriage to Virginia Woolf and was a fringe member of the Bloomsbury Group.

Ralph was a gunner during the Great War, rowed for Cambridge twice in the Varsity match, and Great Britain in the 1920 Olympics (silver).

Thanks again for your help

Charles
Arthur Percival    08 Jul 2009
Charles

Herbert Shove (the father) farmed Plumford, Ospringe, for a while from 1885 in partnership with James George Millen. Later Millen farmed it on his own. As Bertha was his wife, and she was née Millen, perhaps she was a sister of James George.

James George, who died in 1926, was the eldest son of William Millen, of Syndale, and grandson of James Millen and Mary, née Theobald, of Throwley, who married in 1823.

There was an Edward William Shove who was farming at Luddenham (presumably Luddenham Court) till he died in 1893. He was a member of the local Lodge of Harmony, but had only joined (or been initiated) in 1891.

The date of the photograph you mention is conjectural, based on when the particular photographer was active. It could indeed have been taken after 1890 – at any time up to about 1900.

Best wishes

Arthur Percival for The Faversham Society
(see www.faversham.org/society)