don't read the menu options and go directly to the page content 
Click to view menu Click to search

Vallances of Faversham

Home / Forum / History File / Vallances of Faversham
nicci bergman    11 Jul 2010
Hello... what a great site!

I have a birth record for my great great grandfather, Walter Raynard Vallance, Jan/Feb/March 1868, registered Faversham

I am trying to find details of his family there (maybe he was the son of the butcher?) ... and also details re his emigration to New Zealand.

He fibbed, I think, as I have a marriage date in NZ of 1886 but a death date in 1904 aged 39yrs, which doesnt quite add up. I am thinking he exaggerated his age maybe to get passage to NZ?)

Have unearthed all sorts and seems he was definitely a rogue ... any help appreciated please.

Thanks

Nicci
nicci bergman    09 Aug 2010
Hello again

Apologies, life took over... have received Walter Raynard's marriage certificate from archives... seems he was the son of Walter Vallance the butcher, so this is where he ended up.

Anyone who is studying this family is welcome to email me on niccibergman@xtra.co.nz
Peter Stevens    14 Jul 2010
At the time of the 1901 census an Osborne Vallance, a brewer aged 36 was living in Newton Road, Faversham, and in 1899 a local building firm did work on Mr Vallance's butcher's shop in Preston Street.

These premises are now part of the Heritage Centre.
Arthur Percival    12 Jul 2010
Nicci

All I can tell you off-hand is that there was indeed a Walter Vallance who in the 1890s had a butcher's shop at 6 West Street, Faversham.

There seems to be a thin strand of local Vallances going back to the 18th century, but whether they were inter-related I don't know. A brewery in Sittingbourne (six miles west) was owned by a Vallance in the 19th century. Aymer Vallance, who was living in Faversham in 1901, was of this line – I think. He seems to have claimed descent from the 14th-century Aymer de Valence, from whom the village of Sutton Valence, near Maidstone, I believe takes its name. He was a friend of William Morris.

There was some assisted emigration from the Faversham area (most notably Selling) to NZ – see The Farthest Promised Land, an excellent study published nearly 30 years ago by the University of Wellington Press. You should be able to borrow this from your local library.

I might be able to help further if you like to get in touch with me direct at ticfaversham@btconnect.com.

Best wishes

Arthur Percival (for The Faversham Society - www.faversham.org/society