don't read the menu options and go directly to the page content 
Click to view menu Click to search

Percival Family in Bogle, Lynsted, 1941 Census

Home / Forum / History File / Percival Family in Bogle, Lynsted, 1941 Census
Peter Percival    19 Nov 2010
Hi

I've recently started a fanily history project and am now a little stuck!

I've traced the Percival family back from Woolwich to a John (40) and Sophia (35), living in Bogle at the 1941 Census. John was an agricultural labourer. They had  three children; Ann (9), William (5) and Walter (2). It was Walter who ended up in Woolwich.

I'm now trying to trace the other branches, both backward and forward. Would there be anything within the local archives that might help?

Many thanks

Peter
Peter Stevens    01 Dec 2010
A few Faversham Percival details that may be of interest:

James Percival, aged 80, was interred at Faversham Cemetery on 11th April 1935.
William Percival, who lived at Mill Place, Conduit Street, was a disabled First World War veteran and had a wooden leg. He made a living keeping pigs and chickens on The Brents on the site which is now the Weston Works car park.

William James Percival  of 3 Mill Place is listed in the Roll of Honour for the Second World War, which was displayed in the Brents Church. He served as a Sergeant in the Grenadier Guards. His photo can be seen in the local booklet The War Years 1939-45 which is still on sale at the Heritage Centre.

Edward (Ted) Percival lived with his brother James(Jim) and sister-in-law Winifred (Win) at 9 Abbey Street. (See 1926, 1937 and 1939 Town Directories). Jim and Win had two sons – James Edward (known as Ned) who served in the Royal Navy on submarines in the Second World War, and Reginald who was a Company Sergeant Major in The Buffs Regiment – and one daughter, Winifred.

Whether they are related to to the Lynsted family I know not.

Peter Stevens
Arthur Percival    27 Nov 2010
Peter

May I perhaps refer you to ....

http://www.faversham.org/pages/standard.aspx?i_PageID=113744

Percival is an uncommon name in the Faversham area, though there may be a slender strand of them going back. The only one I can recall offhand is a Henry who was appointed Park Keeper at Faversham Rec when it opened in 1860.

It is my own surname, but I'm not local. Though I've never researched my own family history properly I know that I descended from a grocer in Princes Risborough c 1880.

Best wishes

Arthur
Peter Percival    25 Nov 2010
Sorry...

I did of course mean the 1841 Census!

Thanks again

Peter