HENRY HATCH: Tudor benefactor
Henry Hatch, one of Faversham’s greatest benefactors, lived at 12 Market Place and made his fortune as a merchant venturer and wholesale fishmonger. He died in 1533, leaving his estate to the town for Creek maintenance, care of Parish Church ornaments and highway improvements. Hatch’s gift, of £2,400 (about £900,000 in today’s money), still helps his town, generating about £6,000 a year for his causes. An arch was erected in memory of Hatch at the churchyard’s Church Road entrance in 1862. It bears, on its south side, his merchant’s mark and year of death, and on its north side the year it was put up. A brass over Hatch’s grave in the church (in front of the town council pews) bears portraits of him and his wife, Joan, from Lynsted. Hatch’s treasure chest is in the Fleur de Lis Heritage Centre.
HAYMO of FAVERSHAM: Leader of the Franciscans
Haymo of Faversham (c.1180-1244) was a Franciscan friar and theologian born in Faversham. He held posts in France and Italy before being appointed, in 1239, provincial minister of the English Franciscans. A year later, he was elected minister-general of the order, the only Englishman to hold this post. Haymo died in 1244 at Anagni, Italy, and was buried there. His liturgical work became a model for the service books of the Western church.
Details: Dictionary of National Biograghy
EDWARD JACOB: surgeon with a Shakespearian theory
Edward Jacob (c1713-1788) was author of History of Faversham
(1774) and Plantae Favershamienses
(1777), listing uncommon plants in the area. Jacob, son of a Canterbury surgeon, followed that profession at 76 Preston Street, Faversham, and was Mayor of Faversham in 1749, 1754, 1765 and 1775. In 1770, he published an edition of Arden of Faversham
, in which he suggested that the play was Shakespeare’s. Our picture is a 20th century painting copied directly from a portrait of Edward Jacob still in the Jacob family.
Details: History of Faversham reprint with biographical note (1974); Mayoralty of Faversham
(Faversham Society’s Faversham Papers); Dictionary of National Biography
JAMES II: monarch held captive in Faversham
The Roman Catholic King James II was held captive in Faversham over four days in 1688 while trying to flee to France after the landing of the Protestant William of Orange, his son-in-law, to take the Throne. With Britain in ferment and everyone on alert for Catholic fugitives, James was seized from his getaway boat by Faversham fishermen. They did not recognise him, but when he was brought into town, an astonished Richard Marsh
, owner of the brewery that is now Shepherd Neame, identified him. James was held at 12 Market Place (now Stead & Simpson) and 18 Court Street, home of the mayor, Thomas Southouse, until his release was negotiated by the Earl of Feversham, his confidant, and a military escort took him to London. He later left for France. William and his wife, Mary, took the Throne.
Details: Richard Marsh’s account in Edward Jacob’s History of Faversham
Sir SAMUEL JOHNSON: Victorian mayor
Samuel George Johnson, born near Maidstone in 1832, became a solicitor in 1854 and set up in practice in Faversham, at 12 West Street. A Whig, he was elected to the town council the next year and, at only 27, became mayor in 1859, serving for two successive years. He was town clerk from 1864 until his 1870 appointment to the same post in Nottingham. He held that job till 1908 and was knighted in 1893.
DANIEL JUDD: maker of munitions for Cromwell
Daniel Judd (born 1614/15), a munitions manufacturer under Oliver Cromwell, is recalled by Judd Folly Hill on the A2 west of Faversham. The Ordnance Office’s lead-caster by 1643, Judd was a main supplier of shot to the parliamentary army. Diversifying in 1648, he turned some derelict water-powered Faversham corn mills into gunpowder mills. Their output was crucial in the First and Second Dutch Wars. In about 1652, Judd built an elegant seat in a pioneering classical style west of Faversham. The house, called Syndale, was known locally as Judd Folly. Judd is now believed probably to have remained at Syndale after Charles II’s Restoration, contrary to an earlier view that it was confiscated. The house burnt down in 1961.
Details: Faversham Gunpowder Personnel Register 1573-1840 (Faversham Society’s Faversham Papers); Dealing in Death (Peter Edwards, 2000).
HERBERT MARSH: bishop who annoyed Napoleon
Herbert Marsh, bishop and bête noire of Napoleon Bonaparte, was born in 1757, the son of Richard Marsh, Vicar of Faversham. He was a pupil at Faversham Grammar School, where, in 1767, he carved his name and the date on panelling. His handiwork can still be seen in the Old Grammar School, now a masonic hall. Marsh studied and wrote at Leipzig. The influence of his political texts in support of Britain during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars led Bonaparte to proscribe him, and to avoid arrest at Leipzig, Marsh lay hidden for several months in a merchant’s house. After being elected, in 1807, Lady Margaret Professor of Divinity at Cambridge, he married his Leipzig protector’s daughter. Marsh was made Bishop of Llandaff in 1816. He served as Bishop of Peterborough from 1819 until his death in 1839, and was seen as the leading bishop of his day.
Details: Dictionary of National Biography
RICHARD MARSH: pioneer of Faversham Brewery
Richard Marsh founded Faversham Brewery
, now owned by Shepherd Neame, in 1698, the traditional story tells us. However, records indicate that Marsh was Faversham’s biggest brewer as early as 1678 and that alemaking was taking place at the site of Faversham Brewery back in the mid 16th century. One theory is that he had brewed elsewhere in the town but moved to the present Faversham Brewery site in 1698. Marsh, author of an eye-witness account of James II
’s 1688 capture at Faversham, served as mayor, as did his son, also Richard. Marsh died in or before 1727. The brewery was later sold by his family to Samuel Shepherd, in possession by 1741.
Details: Shepherd Neame, by Professor Theo Barker
Queen MATILDA: co-founder of Faversham Abbey
Wife of Stephen, King of England from 1135 to 1154, with whom she founded Faversham Abbey
in 1147. The huge church was intended as a chapel royal for Stephen's House of Blois, as Westminster Abbey was for earlier kings, and the traditionally royal manor of Faversham, which had been given to William of Ypres, was redeemed and bestowed on it. The abbey existed for nearly four centuries and its school was the forerunner of today’s Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School. Matilda, daughter and heiress of Eustace, Count of Boulogne, married Stephen (whose mother was a sister of Henry I) in 1125. Died 1152. Buried at Faversham Abbey.
See also entries for King Stephen and Prince Eustace