The settlement is first recorded in Domesday Book (1086) as Bocheland (meaning “land held by book, or charter”). The parish was a rather small one, of only 978 acres, with a population in 1871 of 18. The Church, of early Norman origin, consisted of a nave and chancel, with a west tower and spire.
By 1578, the chancel had “fallen down”. A rate was later levied for its repair, but as the wealthier parish landowners refused to pay, no work could be undertaken. In 1706, part of the building was blown down in a gale. The rest, including the tower and spire, was considered “dangerous”. The churchwardens were ordered to raise a rate for repairs, but in the following year one of them, John Saunders, reported that £150 would be needed, that there were very few parishioners, and (presumably) that nothing could therefore be done. However, the spire was still standing 12 years later.
By 1782, the spire had fallen and the church was an empty shell, full of rubble. By 1900, all that was left were most of the west wall and part of the south wall, with its early Norman south door. Today, only a heap of rubble survives.