/ Wall Plaques - People
/ James II in Market Place, Faversham
The Roman Catholic King James II was brought to 12 Market Place, Faversham, in 1688 when seized by local fishermen as he tried to flee to France after the arrival in his kingdom of the Protestant William of Orange, his son-in-law, to take the Throne. The incident is recalled by a plaque that also notes that the building was once home to Henry Hatch (died 1533), a merchant venturer who was one of Faversham's greatest benefactors. The king was later held at nearby 18 Court Street before eventual release.
Location of the plaque
12 Market Place, Faversham, has links with James II and the local benefactor Henry Hatch