/ Wall Plaques - People
/ William and Richard Gibbs
Richard Gibbs, having left Faversham, travelled in China and become rich as a tea-trader, in 1883 founded the town’s William Gibbs School for Girls, named after his father. The British Museum displays ornaments that William Gibbs (1788-1870) saved when they were found in a Jutish cemetery during construction of the railway through Faversham. Details about the Gibbs School are in Education in Faversham, a Faversham Society Faversham Paper. A plaque recalling father and son is on the former Gibbs School, a predecessor of today's Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School.
Location of the plaque
The former William Gibbs School in Orchard Place, Faversham