A plaque on a building with fine terracotta decorations in Orchard Place, Faversham, recalls that it was the William Gibbs School for Girls. The school was founded in 1883 by Richard Gibbs
, who made a fortune as a tea-trader, in memory of his father, William Gibbs
, who saved Faversham archaeological relics to form a collection now in the British Museum. The school merged with Faversham's boys' grammar school to form today's Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School. The building was made into flats in 1994.
Location of the plaque
The former William Gibbs School in Orchard Place, Faversham