17th and 18th May 2014
Following on from the Transport weekend in 2013.......
The sun shone down on Faversham Transport Weekend this year and thousands of visitors enjoyed the weather along with hundreds of beautiful, vintage vehicles.
You can watch the video from the successful 2013 Transport weekend here
Four hundred vehicles attended over the weekend, along with a funfair, market stalls, live music and entertainment.
On Saturday, visitors enjoyed trips on vintage buses which visited Boughton, Challock, Graveney (where there was a Church fete), Hernehill and Doddington. In addition to the display of veteran buses in the town centre, there was live jazz performed from an open top bus and the chance to shop at the town's traditional market.
On Sunday there was a funfair in Faversham town centre. Throughout the weekend the Homefront Bus - which enables visitors to experience life at home during the Second World War - was located at South East Coachworks in Preston Street. For the first time this year, two boats were moored at Town Quay as part of the Weekend to celebrate Faversham's nautical heritage.
As well as the hundreds of vintage cars and motorbikes on Sunday, there was a Punch and Judy show, live music throughout the town including jazz, folk and a brass band. In addition to the stalls throughout the town, there was an indoor market and tearooms at the Alexander Centre. Creek Creative Cafe at the top of Abbey Street also served transport related delicious food all day in its gallery cafe.
Faversham Transport Weekend started life as Faversham Classic Car and Motorcycle Show sixteen years ago. It has now expanded into a weekend long event with a display of buses and larger vehicles on Saturday and classic cars and motorbikes on Sunday.
Prizes were awarded to the following vehicle owners:
- Mr Derek Warner from Ashford. Winner of Oldest in Show for his Ford Model T 1926. Sponsored by Faversham Town Council.
- Mr Nigel Chawner. Winner of Traders Favourite (a new trophy sponsored by Capital and County and co-judged by FavershamTraders Group) for his VW Karman GH12 Convertible. Nigel was also awarded the Best in Show for his car awarded by Shepherd Neame.
- Mr Roger Cearns from Faversham for the Best in Faversham trophy sponsored by Macknade Fine Foods.
- Mr Stuart Strover from Ashford won Best Motorbike for his HRD Vincent 1949 awarded by Laguna Motorcycles.
- Furthest Travelled sponsored by Faversham Area Tourism Association was awarded to the Belgium Club who brought their army landrovers and the trophy was accepted by Luc Mouton.
In addition, Lotties Flowers won first prize in the Best Window Display competition, held for the first time this year. Second
prize went to Disgruntled Cat. The trophy was sponsored by SEC Signworks who gave both shops vouchers for £100 to spend on window or vehicle signage.
Jennifer Thomson photography kindly took photographs over the 2012 weekend www.jenniferthomsonphotography.co.uk To view pictures from the weekend, please see our Car Show gallery.
Faversham Transport Weekend is sponsored by Faversham Town Council, Shepherd Neame, Macknade Fine Foods, Capital & County Insurance Brokers and South East Coachworks. It is also supported by Laguna Motorcycles and
A:Class Southern vehicle upholsterers.
2013 Event Sponsors