A church dedicated to St James was established around 1070. Over the last millennium it has evolved to meet the needs of the surrounding community of Sheldwich where people have lived since Roman times. Sheldwich (literally 'dwelling on a low hill') is about two miles south of Faversham in rural Kent.
The church is part of a cluster which includes the villages (and churches) of Selling, Leaveland, and Badlesmere. St James contributes in varied ways to Sheldwich's community of about 200 dwellings and the rural setting is illustrated by the fact that we have no shop, pub, garage or Post Office: no street lights or mains drainage and a very infrequent bus service which bears the route number 666!
Our excellent village primary school and the church are, therefore, especially important in enhancing the life of the village community.
1st Sunday - 10:00am - Morning Prayer
3rd Sunday - 10:00am - Holy Communion
Priest in Charge:
Rev'd Canon Donald J Lawton CD, DipEd., BMin., MDiv.
Tel: 01795 890 487
Mrs J West
Tel: 01233 712 270