The villages of Sheldwich, Badlesmere and Leaveland lie to the south of Faversham set in the heart of the Kent countryside on the edge of the Kent Downs.
Cllr Wm Harbour - 01227 751870 Chairman
Cllr John Nimmo - 01795 532518
Cllr Chris Iliffe - 01795 890893
Cllr David Snell - 01795 532644
Cllr Debbie Cook - 01227 731532
Cllr David Austin - 01233 740252 Vice Chairman
Cllr Adrian Atkins - 01233 740061
Cllr Philip Scutt - 01795 539091
Meetings are usually held on the 1st Tuesday monthly at 8pm, unless by prior notice, and take place in Sheldwich Parish Rooms between October and April. From May to September they take place in the Badlesmere Village Hall.
Minutes from Parish Council meetings
Sheldwich Primary School - 01795 532779
Sheldwich is first recorded in the year 784 as Scilduuic'. Given that Old English Scild' means a low hill, and wic' is a dwelling place or shelter, that is a good description of this dwelling place on a low hill.
By Domesday in 1086 it has no particular mention as it is still considered a chapelry of Faversham. Modern scholars however think Sheldwich might be the place peculiarly named as Cildresham.
For a full history of this ancient village see the publication Dwelling On A Low Hill by Michael Johnson, ISBN 1900214 474, available as Faversham Paper No. 94. It is available from the Faversham Society by mail order. The book contains almost 200 thumbnail photographs, which are also available as quality jpegs on CD.