Shottenden is a small settlement in the Kent Downs about four miles southeast of Faversham. It is an ancient hamlet and recorded references go back as far as 1175.
Formed by its links with farming that go back many years, some of the 80 dwellings of Shottenden are located on either side of a narrow high street, which arose when there were sufficient numbers of villagers to support the now defunct public house, Post Office store, Methodist chapel and Church of England Mission Hall, which were well used.
The remaining dwellings are scattered around the four major farms, whose intensively cropped fruit and hops provided employment and housing. It is in the Chilham Parish Council area.