Back to top

T: 01795 503286E: info@faversham.org

12 Market Place, Faversham, Kent ME13 7AE

John Anderson

John Anderson, a founder of the Faversham Institute, which was a centre for education and entertainment from 1862 to 1979, is commemorated by the name of the building now on its site, John Anderson Court, and by the plaque that this sheltered housing bears. Anderson was elected Faversham’s first county councillor when county councils were created in 1889. A partner in Hilton, Anderson & Co, which owned Faversham Cement Works, he was thrice Mayor of Faversham.

The plaque

Faversham Institute

Location of the plaque

Faversham Institute
John Anderson Court, East Street, Faversham, site of the old Faversham Institute